Polymorphisms of STAT6 Gene and It Association with Asthmatics in Nassiriya, Iraq.
Keywords:STAT6, gene Polymorphisms, IL4, IL13 and IgE
AbstractThe present study was carried out in the Labs of college of Science and specialized center for respiratory
disease in Nasiriya city, during the period from May to August of 2018. The aim of study was to examine
possible association between polymorphism of STAT6 gene in patients with asthma and evaluate immune
status to them by measuring the levels of some cytokines (IL4, IL13) and IgE in serum by using a
technique enzyme-linked immune sorbent adsorptive (ELISA). The study included a total of 63 patients
with asthma and 31 healthy people and their age between 10 - 60 years.
DNA was isolated and RFLP-PCR was performed by using primers specific for genotypes of region of
the STAT6 gene, the results showed the presence of mutations in most sample of patients after using gene
sequence. The gene polymorphism reveal that a direct relationship between the STAT6 of the asthmatic
The statistical analysis also showed that a high significant increase (P < 0.05) in serum IL4 and IL13 and
IgE in the sera of asthmatic compared to the control group.
In conclusion, the results indicate that a polymorphism of STAT6 gene with immunological study of IL4,
IL13 may be a useful as marker for predicting asthma diseases in Nasiriya/ Iraq population. Accordingly,
the study of asthma genetically and immunologically to provide a theoretical basis for asthma protection
- Reddel HK, Taylor DR, Bateman ED, Boulet LP, Boushey HA, Busse WW, Casale TB, Chanez
P, Enright PL, Gibson PG, de Jongste JC, Kerstjens HA, Lazarus SC, Levy ML, O'Byrne PM,
Partridge MR, Pavord ID, Sears MR, Sterk PJ, Stoloff SW, Sullivan SD, Szefler SJ, Thomas MD,
Wenzel SE; American Thoracic ''An official american thoracic society/European respiratory society
statement: asthma control and exacerbations''. Am J Respir Crit Care Med, 180(1):59–992009 July
- Al-Jahdali H, Wali S, Salem G, Al-Hameed F, Almotair A, Zeitouni M, Aref H, Nadama R,
Algethami MM, Al Ghamdy A, Dihan T. ''Asthma control and predictive factors among adults in
Saudi Arabia: Results from the Epidemiological Study on the Management of Asthma in Asthmatic
Middle East Adult Population study''. Ann Thorac Med. 14(2): 148–154.April,2019
- Thomsen SF.''Epidemiology and natural history of atopic diseases''. Eur Clin Respir J;2:
- AbdulRazak MR.''Chirakalwasan N. Obstructive sleep apnea and asthma''. Asian Pac J Allergy
Immunol; 34:265????71. December ,2016.
- Ober C and Yao TC. ''The genetics of asthma and allergic disease: A 21st century perspective''.
Immunol Rev 242: 10-30. July ,2011.
- Gao PS, Mao XQ, Roberts MH, Arinobu Y, Akaiwa M, Enomoto T, Dake Y, Kawai M, Sasaki S,
Hamasaki N, Izuhara K, Shirakawa T, Hopkin JM.''Variants of STAT6 (signal transducer and
activator of transcription 6) in atopic asthma''. Journal of Medical Genetics 37: 380–382.May ,2000.
- Hu JH, Wu JM, Cui TP, Li YR and Lou DD. ''Study on the correlation between STAT6 gene
polymorphism and atopic asthma in Chinese Han population of Hubei province''. Chinese Journal of
Microbiology and Immunology 25: 243–247.May,2005.
- Hershey GK.'' IL-13 receptors and signaling pathways'': an evolving web. J Allergy Clin Immunol;
- Zimmermann N, Hershey GK, Foster PS, Rothenberg ME. Chemokines in asthma: cooperative
interaction between chemokines and IL-13. J Allergy Clin Immunol; 111:227-42. February,2003.
- Patel BK1, Keck CL, O'Leary RS, Popescu NC, LaRochelle WJ.'' Localization of the human stat6
gene to chromosome 12q13.3-q14.1, a region implicated in multiple solid tumors''. Genomics 52:
- Antczak, A, Domańska-Senderowska D, Górski P, Pastuszak- Lewandoska D, Nielepkowicz-
Goździńska A. ''Analysis of changes in expression of IL-4/IL-13/STAT6 pathway and correlation
with the selected clinical parameters in patients with atopic asthma''. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol
: 195-204.June ,2016.
- Sambrook, J, Fritsh, EF and Maniatis T. ''Molecular cloning, a laboratory manual''. 2nd ed . Cold
Spring Harbor Laboratory Press. USA.1989.
- Wu X, Li Y, Chen Q, Chen F, Cai P, .'' Association and gene-gene interactions of eight common
single-nucleotide polymorphisms with pediatric asthma in middle china''. J Asthma .47: 238-
- Rehab M El-Gohary1, Ayman A Wagih1, Hala E Hamouda1, Salwa M El-Melegy1 and Mohamed
A. ''Association of STAT6 rs324011 Gene Polymorphism with Susceptibility of Atopic Bronchial
Asthma in Egyptian Children''. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Journal. Vol.4 No.1:6.
- 15- Gomes KB. ''IL-6 and type 1 diabetes mellitus: T cell responses and increase in IL-6 receptor
surface expression''. Ann Transl Med. 5(1): 16 November,2016.
- Tavakkol Afshari J, Farid Hosseini R, Hosseini Farahabadi S, Heydarian F, Boskabady MH,
Khoshnavaz R, Razavi A, Ghayoor Karimiani E, Ghasemi G. ''Association of the expression of IL-4
and IL-13 genes, IL-4 and IgE serum levels with allergic asthma''. Iranian Journal of Allergy Asthma
Immunology 6: 67–72. June, 2007.
- Simpson JL, Scott R, Boyle MJ, Gibson PG.'' Inflammatory subtypes in asthma: Assessment and
identification using induced sputum''. Respirology, 11, 54–61. January,2006.
- Subrahmanyam RM, Srikantaiah C, Krishna P, Delphine Silvia, CR, Thirunavukkarasu S, Devi
K, Rao M, Kumar V. ''Can bronchial asthma be classified based on the immunological status''? Lung
India, 28, 110–113.June,2011.
- Kupryś-Lipińska I, Molińska K, Kuna P.''The effect of omalizumab on eosinophilic inflammation
of the respiratory tract in patients with allergic asthma''. Pneumonol Alergol Pol 84:232-243.Fabruary,
- Kavalar MS, Balantic, M, Silar M, Kosnik M P, Korosec P and M. Rijavec M. ''Association of
ORMDL3, STAT6 and TBXA2R gene polymorphisms with asthma''. Blackwell Publishing Ltd,
International Journal of Immunogenetics 39, 20–25. February ,2012.
- Hou J, Schindler U, Henzel WJ, Ho TC, Brasseur M, McKnight SL. ''An interleukin-4-induced
transcription factor'': IL-4 Stat. Science. 265:1701–6. December,1994.
- Quelle FW, Shimoda K, Thierfelder W, Fischer C, Kim A, Ruben SM, Cleveland JL, Pierce JH,
Keegan AD, Nelms K. ''Cloning of murine Stat6 and human Stat6, Stat proteins that are tyrosine
phosphorylated in responses to IL-4 and IL-3 but are not required for mitogenesis''. Mol Cell
Biol. 15:3336–43. May,1995.
- Martinez FD, Holt PG. ''Role of microbial burden in aetiology of allergy and asthma''. The Lancet;
- Miller RL, Eppinger TM, McConnell D, Cunningham-Rundles C, Rothman P. ''Analysis of
cytokine signaling in patients with extrinsic asthma and hyperimmunoglobulin E''. J Allergy Clin
Immunol 102: 503-511.March,1998.
- Schedel M, Carr D, Klopp N, Woitsch B, Illig T, Stachel D, Schmid I, Fritzsch C, Weiland
SK, von Mutius, E. and Kabesch, M. ''A signal transducer and activator of transcription 6 haplotype
influences the regulation of serum IgE levels''.J Allergy Clin Immunol.;114(5):1100-5.May ,2004.
- Pykäläinen M1, Kinos R, Valkonen S, Rydman P, Kilpeläinen M, Laitinen LA, Karjalainen J,
Nieminen M, Hurme M, Kere J, Laitinen T, Lahesmaa R. ''Association analysis of common variants
of STAT6, GATA3, and STAT4 to asthma and high serum IgE phenotypes''. J Allergy Clin Immunol
: 80-87. January,2005.
- Palmer LJ, Cookson WO. ''Genomic approaches to understanding asthma''. Gen res. 10:1280-
The Authors submitting a manuscript do so on the understanding that if accepted for publication, copyright of the article shall be assigned to Journal of education for Pure Science (Jeds), University of Thi-Qar as publisher of the journal.
Copyright encompasses exclusive rights to reproduce and deliver the article in all form and media, including reprints, photographs, microfilms and any other similar reproductions, as well as translations. The reproduction of any part of this journal, its storage in databases and its transmission by any form or media, such as electronic, electrostatic and mechanical copies, photocopies, recordings, magnetic media, etc. , will be allowed only with a written permission from Journal of education for Pure Science (Jeds), University of Thi-Qar.
Journal of education for Pure Science (Jeds), University of Thi-Qar, the Editors and the Advisory International Editorial Board make every effort to ensure that no wrong or misleading data, opinions or statements be published in the journal. In any way, the contents of the articles and advertisements published in the Journal of education for Pure Science (Jeds), University of Thi-Qar are sole and exclusive responsibility of their respective authors and advertisers.